Saturday 26 September 2015

City Guide: Barcelona pt.1

It's finally happened. After 18 months of working with bloggers at an agency, I've decided to start sharing the more fun parts of my life with you all. All I was missing was a decent camera & some determination (one was easier to find than the other)


So . . .  welcome to my first post.


What better way to kick off City & Cinema than with a city guide right? This was my first time in what I GENUINELY believed to be the capital city of Spain. I've always considered my geography to be on point, so how I managed to think Barcelona held that title for all these years is beyond me. 

Me & my girlfriend love being in a city, but we also love the beach. So spending a week in a city on the coast was a no brainer. As far as budget goes, you can explore this city & enjoy all of it's quirks, charms & culture on a fairly low cost. So if you come into to a little bit of disposable monies, it wouldn't be unrealistic to spend £250 - 300 for a short break here (that's flight, hotel & spending money)


Eats.

First off . . . food. I don't about you, but deciding where I should travel to often revolves around having a decent list of coffee shops, restaurants, burger joints & bars. Actually booking the holiday is a secondary priority. 

Tucked away on a quiet street behind Arc de Triomf, this is perfect place to unwind. It serves well priced brunches and lunches with a Catalonian twist. A good example of this Catalonian/Brunch infusion are the pulled pork nachos with a perfectly cooked poached egg on top.

Picnic Barcelona

Brunch in Barcelona


I found this place by googling "best brunch in Barcelona" - It's food was good, but nothing amazing. Where Federal really stands out is in it's location, interior & coffee. I know this is my first post & there's a lot more coffee chat to come, but these guys served me an iced coffee like I'd never tasted. I didn't even have time to take a photo. Smooth, caffeinated, ice cold perfection. I'd get on plane tomorrow to drink one again. 

Federal Cafe Barcelona

Coffee shop interior


Places are often called "instagrammable" these days, or they're measured on how inspired the interior was by Pinterest. Travel & Cake is no exception. It is part of the Cup & Cake chain of eateries & coffee shops that dominate Barcelona's emerging brunch culture - if that's even a thing? Anyway, eat here, or at any of there places. I recommend the Eggs Benedict on a waffle, & grab a doughnut on the way out. 



4. Brunch & Cake
This place is a part of the previously mentioned "Cup & Cake" chain. It shares a very similar menu, but I'd recommend the ricotta pancake, topped with fresh guacamole, tomatoes & pine nuts.




By this point in my trip, I'd been stuffing my face with gelato after breakfast, lunch & dinner (the city is big on the stuff) So when Daisy recommended we go here, I was expecting a very similar affair. Instead, I was greeted with a truly inventive, fun & delicious take on ice cream. 
The "Eyescream" it's self is essential a huge frozen solid blog of either ice cream or "froyo" & it's then shaved and a few hundred RPM as if it were ham at a deli counter. 






If you've made it this far, then give yourself high-five from me. Thank's for scrolling through my first attempt at a blog post & I really hope you're now inspired to visit this amazing city if you haven't already. 

See part 2 of my trip here - City Guide: Barcelona pt.2

Let me know of any places you recommend in Barcelona & link me your city guides below. Inspire me. 

Dan x


SHARE:

No comments

Post a Comment

© City & Cinema. All rights reserved.
MINIMAL BLOGGER TEMPLATES BY pipdig